Saturday, August 29, 2015

100 Little Sandwiches

Today I met up with a friend at the Museum of Human Rights. It documents the Chilean military coup of Sept 11, 1973 and the political kidnappings, torture, and murders that occurred during the Pinochet dictatorship. It was sobering. We had to leave after seeing only about half because there is only so much one can take in of a subject like that.

Then we went to a neighborhood called Bellas Artes to eat at . . .
I lovey love love this is a Spanish chain. Montaditos are little baguettes the length of your finger. They come topped with a 100 different things, like Spanish dried ham, chicken and cheese, potato omlette with ali-oli sauce. My friend was also an au pair in Spain for a summer and when we tasted the tinto de verano drink it brought us right back. I've met a lot people that have studied in Spain, and they all go nuts when I mention 100 Montaditos: "The food! The drinks! It's so cheap! It's SO delicious!" We also had fries with ali-oli sauce, which is like garlic mayo. I told my friend that I could bath in ali-oli sauce. I'm so dramatic when it comes to food!
After all the goodness you see above, I had a chocolate bread montadito filled with nutella and toasted almonds.

We took a long, long walk home, skirting the Bellas Artes neighborhood, which is, well, artsy.
It reminded me more of the Latin America that I've experienced in other countries. On the other side of the river is my neighborhood, Providencia, which feels more European.


No comments:

Post a Comment